12.02.2016 - 16.02.2016 — Hall: 1.1 Stand: C 39
The Meyer family has been in the textile trade for generations. By 1830, Josef Meyer was operating a hand weaving mill in Triengen in the Canton of Lucerne that employed up to 80 workers. One of Josef's descendants opened a cloth business in 1842 in Dagmersellen. His son Eduard Meyer-Braun (1850-1913) took over a hand weaving mill in Zofingen and at the turn of the century built a mechanical weaving mill in Mehlsecken near Reiden, which burned to the ground in 1928.
His son Eduard Meyer-Mayor (1886-1964) moved to the prospering textile canton of St. Gallen where with the backing of his father-in-law Paul Louis Mayor, pastor of the town of Cully in the Canton of Vaud, he took over a business in Neu St. Johann in Toggenburg owned by the brothers Emil and Gustav Gnipper. The Gnippers had established the business in 1857 as a yarn dye shop and had subsequently expanded it to a multicolor weaving mill. The brothers Eduard Jr. and André Meyer-Fehr ran the weaving mill from 1942 to 1987 when they handed over the reins to André Meyer, who is now the sole owner.
MEYER-MAYOR has a reputation in Europe as a leading manufacturer of classic and fashionable kitchen textiles bearing the quality label "Made in Switzerland." With its 1993 launch of high-end synthetic cloth production, the company opened up new, interesting markets with a bright future, once again demonstrating its gift for blending tradition and innovation.